Title supplied by cataloger. In the mid-1800's, this area was a swampland. MacArthur Park, created in the 1880s under the name Westlake Park, was later renamed in honor of General Douglas MacArthur. By the 1890s, it was a vacation destination surrounded by luxury hotels; in the early part of the 20th Century, the area became known as the Champs Elysees of Los Angeles. MacArthur Park has been designated City of Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #100. Aerial view of the Westlake area, looking east toward downtown. The major street closest to bottom is Hoover Street; Alvarado runs horizontally from middle right to middle left; the Harbor Freeway (110) is farther up from middle right to upper left. The major streets running vertically from bottom right corner to the left are: Olympic Boulevard, 9th Street, 8th Street, 7th Street, and Wilshire Boulevard, which runs through MacArthur Park - at left. Photograph dated September 19, 1957.
1 negative :safety ;11 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives
Dwellings--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Parks--California--Los Angeles Lakes--California--Los Angeles Urban lakes--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments MacArthur Park (Los Angeles, Calif.) Westlake (Los Angeles, Calif.) Westlake (Los Angeles, Calif.)--Aerial views Aerial photographs