Copyright is assigned to the San José State University Special Collections & Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from this collection must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections & Archives. Copyright restrictions may apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes. For more information on copyright or permissions for this image, please contact San Jose State University Special Collections & Archives department. http://library.sjsu.edu/sjsu-special-collections/sjsu-special-collections-and-archives
Photograph shows Susanne B. Wilson walking across an empty lot carrying a shovel. There is a small crowd behind her including Lois Cullison who is the women in the pale coat on the far left. This may be a ground breaking ceremony for the YWCA's building on 375 S. Third Street which opened in 1975. "The building at 210 S. Second St. closed May 31, 1973." See Fran Smith, "Breaking Ground: The Daring Women of the YWCA in the Santa Clara Valley, 1905-2005, " (2005), p.94. "The YWCA rented offices at 1066 W. Hedding St. and broke ground for a modest single-story headquarters. The building at 375 S. Third St., opened in 1975, a scaled-down version of the administrative portion of the complex Steinberg has sketched in the 1960s." From Fran Smith, "Breaking Ground: The Daring Women of the YWCA in the Santa Clara Valley, 1905-2005, " (2005), p.95.