Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District, from the Palos Verdes Homes Association Photograph Collection held in the Local History Room. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Image shows view a portion of the south side of the John Joseph Haggarty Estate [also spelled "Haggerty"], located on Paseo del Mar on lot 5, block 1500 in Malaga Cove. J.J. Haggarty was born in London in 1864, married Bertha M. Schneider in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1901, and came to Los Angeles in 1902. Visible at right is a tower, which housed two studios, an arched entranceway in the center along a circular drive, and lush landscaping designed by the Olmsted Brothers. Designed by architect Armand Monaco, the expansive one-story Italianate villa with tile roof was originally built as a summer residence for the wealthy Los Angeles business merchant at a cost of $750,000. It comprised of some 30 rooms, a conservatory, formal garden, gardener's cottage, a swimming pool, private pier and two garages housing six automobiles. When the Haggerty business faltered, the mansion passed through several owners and was finally bought by Harry Wheeler, a mid-west financier who purchased the estate to house his art collection. Upon Wheeler's death the property was purchased in 1950 by the United Church of Christ and became the Neighborhood Church in 1953. Date Built: 1928 Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association