This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This 1929 photograph shows the pristine tables and stacks of the new California State Law Library within the Library and Courts Building at 914 Capitol Avenue. It was renamed the Witkin State Law Library in 1998, in honor of Bernard E. Witkin, the foremost scholar on the State's legal system and the author of an authoritative thirteen-volume summary of California law. Upon its opening in 1928, the general State Library collection consisted of 275,000 volumes. The building was built for a capacity of 1,250,000 volumes.