Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Annandale Golf Club from the Eagle Rock

Image / Annandale Golf Club from the Eagle Rock

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Annandale Golf Club from the Eagle Rock
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1938]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
The Annandale Golf Club located at 1201 West Colorado in Pasadena was established in 1906. Architects Hunt & Lager designed the first clubhouse, which was sold to a military academy a decade later and demolished in 1976 for a housing development. Architect W. E. Taylor designed the second clubhouse in 1917, which was mostly destroyed by fire in 1952. Architect Donald Neptune designed the third clubhouse in a complimentary style. William Watson and Billy Bell originally designed the golf course, which was renovated in 2007 by Brian Silva.
This view looking east from the top of the Eagle Rock shows the Annandale Golf Club including the Greens, as well as the Vista Del Arroyo Hotel on the right with the tall tower, as well as other Pasadena buildings.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00100806
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-010-245 8x10
CARL0005113242
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/39644
Subject
Vista del Arroyo Hotel (Pasadena, Calif.)
Annandale Golf Club (Pasadena, Calif.)
Country clubs--California--Pasadena
Golf courses--California--Pasadena
Mountains--California, Southern
Eagle Rock (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Annandale (Pasadena, Calif.)
San Gabriel Mountains (Calif.)
Pasadena (Calif.)
Panoramic views
Schultheis Collection photographs
Taylor, W. E
Bell, Billy

Explore related content on Calisphere: