Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The California State Normal School was a teaching college that was founded on May 2, 1862 in San Jose. In March 1881, after heavy lobbying by Los Angeles residents, the California State Legislature authorized the creation of a southern branch of the school to be built in downtown Los Angeles, which would train teachers for the growing population of Southern California. On August 29, 1882, the State Normal School at Los Angeles opened its doors, and in 1919 it became part of the "UC system" and was absorbed into UCLA, moving to a larger campus on Vermont Ave., in Hollywood (the present site of L.A. City College). The L.A. Public Library would take the old Normal School site, which was located on 5th Street between Grand and Flower streets. Designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow, it would eventually be constructed between 1922-1926. Photograph shows excavated site of the former Los Angeles State Normal School, and future site of the Los Angeles Public Library. The area has been dug out and is currently being used as the Savoy Auto Park; view is looking south toward Hope Street. The large white building with arches in the background is the Bible Institute, later to become Church of the Open Door/Biola Institute, located at 555 S. Hope Street. Photograph dated: August 30, 1924.
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 25 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00084893 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection A-002-693 4x5; L.A.-Libraries-LAPL-Central Library-Construction. CARL0004765838 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/113002
Bible Institute of Los Angeles Los Angeles Public Library Church of the Open Door (Los Angeles, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Building sites--California--Los Angeles Automobiles--California--Los Angeles Parking lots--California--Los Angeles