Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, it is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. It is most noted for its 21 Roman arches, and is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the rest of Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church.; Brand Park is a beautiful and spacious park located at 15174 San Fernando Mission Boulevard, across the street from Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a. It features an old soap works, the original mission fountain - which now stands some 30 feet from its first location, and a large and oddly shaped reservoir from which the mission fathers were supplied water. At the entrance to Brand Park is Barnham's life-sized statue of Father Junipero Serra, with his arm around an Indian boy. A couple stands in front of the fountain in Brand Park across from the San Fernando Mission.
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 11 cm. Photographic prints
00099930 Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; N-009-128 8x10 CARL0005106982 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/39735
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Couples--California--Los Angeles Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Adobe churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles) Catholic churches--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles) Parks--California--Mission Hills (Los Angeles) Fountains--California--Los Angeles Arcades (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles California Historical Landmarks Brand Park (Mission Hills, Los Angeles, Calif.) Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) San Fernando Valley (Calif.) Group portraits Portrait photographs Schultheis Collection photographs