Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Loyola Marymount University traces its origins back to St. Vincent's College for Boys, founded in 1865 by the Vincentian Fathers. The first classes were held in the Lugo Adobe House at the southeast end of Olvera Street in Los Angeles. Two years later, the school moved to Hill Street. In 1887, St. Vincent's College moved again to a new campus on Grand Avenue and Washington Boulevard. When St. Vincent's College closed in 1911, members of the Society of Jesus opened the high school division of their newly founded Los Angeles College on Avenue 52 in Highland Park. Due to rapid growth, the college moved to Venice Boulevard in 1917. A year later the school was incorporated as Loyola College of Los Angeles. Graduate instruction began in 1920 with the foundation of a separate law school. In 1929, Loyola College was relocated to the Westchester campus, and the school achieved university status one year later, becoming Loyola University of Los Angeles. Loyola University and Marymount College partnered with St. Joseph College of Orange began affiliation in 1968, and officially merged into Loyola Marymount University in 1973. Title supplied by cataloger.