For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
“Ladies’ Mission House, Chamba.” External view of mission house with two women standing on porch. The ladies’ mission was the education of women in India and involved setting up girls’ schools and teaching in zenanas. It also included medical work. The Chamba mission was established, in 1863, by William Ferguson (1821-1904) as an independent venture, and was an independent princely state and came under British influence in 1848. It now forms part of Himachal Pradesh, India.