This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Ground plan of the area to the southeast of the Ālāhana Parivena, with the correct orientation of the hospital complex. The text of the signage: "Having an extent of 35 hectares, this is the largest monastery complex in Polonnaruva extending from here to Rankot vehera. Established by King Parākramabāhu the Great (1153-1186 AD), the name suggests that the site had been a former cremation ground which has been confirmed by archeological excavations carried out here in several places. It is believed that the small stupas here were built on the cremation sites of prelates or of Royalty. The monastery has a terraced layout. Kiri Vehera, Lankatilaka Image House, Baddhasima Prasada and the small stupas (some of them crematory stupas) are located on the two upper terraces, while the monastic hospital, ponds and hundreds of resident monks’ cells are located on the lower terraces."