This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This April 2, 1936, photograph captures the imposing spires of the Tower Bridge, as seen from the western side of the Sacramento River. The builder of the truss vertical-lift bridge was Sacramento’s George Pollock Construction Company. The bridge’s cement foundation was built sixty feet below the river’s water level while its towers reach 180 feet high. Excavating for the bridge’s eastern abutment, which required digging 20 feet below the street level, revealed tracks that had been laid for the Central Pacific Railroad nearly 70 years previous. After razing the old M Street Bridge in February 1935, it took one million dollars, 1,500 men, and nearly two tons of blueprints to get the structure built. For its efforts, the company was an award, in 1936, for having built “the most beautiful bridge of the year.”