Caption: "Battery Kinzie firing 'Trial Shots' Aug 1, 1912" and "No 10 Near Pt. Townsend, WA." Battery Kinzie was a coastal defense battery designed to include two 12-inch disappearing guns, installed at Fort Worden. Construction began in 1908. It was turned over to the U.S. Army's Coast Artillery Corps in 1912 for use in defending the entrance to Puget Sound. This postcard shows one of the 12-inch guns firing, with several unidentified men standing nearby holding their hands to their ears.