This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
The 1301 L Street location of the O’Neil Brothers Service Station is shown in this photograph, taken on December 18, 1935. The site was purchased in 1929 by brothers Joe and John O’Neil for 47,500 dollars. Once in hand, the third generation Sacramentans renovated the spot with a Spanish-style motif. The brothers became the official provider of oil for the City of Sacramento in 1930. By 1931, the store would possess two 10,000 gallon tanks and, by 1933, they had become agents for Guardian gasoline, in addition to a preexisting agreement with Royal Dutch Shell.