For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
[Listed from Left to Right] "Andrea Wainaina, Rev Mr Stevenson, Rev Musa Gitau, Chief Philip Karanja". External view of some of the minsters of Kikuyu. Chief Philip Karanja, seen on the right, was the first convert to be baptised (ca.1908). The Kikuyu Mission had been founded on a temporary site by the Imperial British East Africa Company in 1891, before moving to Kikuyu territory in 1898, under the Rev. Thomas Watson. Located on the ‘lower shamba’, the site stands 12 miles from Nairobi, at a distance of approximately 342 miles away from the coast. The Church of Scotland assumed control of the Mission in 1901.The mission church was built as a memorial to Dr Ruffelle Scott who originally began the building of a mission church as a memorial to the Reverend Thomas Watson, who died in 1900. ❧ "A Series of Photos illustrating Life and Work at Kikuyu. August 1926. Rev W.B. Stevenson."