For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
“Brick-making.” Landscape view of workers amongst piles of bricks. ❧ This is one of several photographs showing industries and workers. ❧ The Church of Scotland first established a mission in Sialkot in 1857 with the arrival of the Reverend Thomas Hunter (1827-1857). He, his wife and child were killed during the Sepoy Rebellion when they had failed to take refuge at the Fort of Lahore. His successors, John Taylor (1837-1868) and Robert Paterson , would not arrive in Sialkot until 1860 and rapidly expand the field. The mission would open orphanages, girl’s schools, women’s hospitals and do zenana work in Siallkot and throughout the Punjab.