Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library > Changing Face of Southern California > Beacon Street, City Hall to the right, San Pedro, Cal

Image / Beacon Street, City Hall to the right, San Pedro, Cal

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Beacon Street, City Hall to the right, San Pedro, Cal
Creator
Unknown
Date Created and/or Issued
1908-1915
Publication Information
Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, Loyola Marymount University
Edward H. Mitchell
Contributing Institution
Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
Collection
Changing Face of Southern California
Rights Information
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Description
A daytime view looking downhill on Beacon Street in San Pedro, California, with the domed, neoclassical-style City Hall on the right. Other businesses along the street include H.W. Scott Photograph Studio and a shoe store. Horse-drawn carts and automobiles are both on the road.
San Pedro is a waterfront community located 24 miles south of downtown Los Angeles. Until the mid-19th century, the area was used primarily for ranching and agriculture. In 1853, the Port of San Pedro was designated a Port of Entry, meaning that imported goods bound for Los Angeles no longer had to come by way of San Francisco. That same decade, entrepreneur Phineas Banning began making improvements to the port, and in 1876, the Southern Pacific Railroad linked the port to the transcontinental railroad system. Shipping became the economic basis for the community, which grew rapidly over the decades that followed. In 1897, San Pedro Bay was selected as the site of Los Angeles' free port, winning over Santa Monica to the north. By the 1920s, the Port of Los Angeles had surpassed San Francisco as the busiest port on the West Coast. The domed City Hall located at Seventh and Beacon streets was completed in 1908.
Series number: 684
Type
image
Format
1 postcard : Color ; 9 x 14 cm.
Identifier
clloy_188
http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/388
Language
English
Subject
Streets--California--Los Angeles
City halls--California--Los Angeles
Stores, Retail--California--Los Angeles
City Hall (San Pedro, Calif.)
San Pedro (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Source
Werner von Boltenstern Postcard Collection

Explore related content on Calisphere: