For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
"Bhandara, The Bungalow. Bhandara - Forty miles from Nagpur" Exterior views of the bungalow building at Bhandara. Bhandara was a development of the work happening in Nagpur and extended most in the 1880s, with the opening of a new mission station there. Stephen Hislop (1817-1863) was charged, by the Free Church of Scotland, with setting up a mission in Nagpur in 1845 which had been endowed by an army officer, Brigadier W. Hill. Based 10 miles from Nagpur at Kamptee, a military camp situated on the Kanhan River, Hislop taught at the school. He learnt the Marathi (the language of western and central India) quickly and integrated with local people.