This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This circa 1910 postcard shows what would become Fremont Park, which holds the distinction of being one of the original 10 "public squares" that were granted to the City of Sacramento by John A. Sutter, Junior. The spot was so-named Fremont, by Sutter, to honor his friend, explorer and frontiersman, John C. Fremont. Despite a public movement to build a school upon the spot in 1898, the park endured through the twentieth century into the twenty-first.