For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
“Inlay work on tables, trays, etc. from Overtoun Institution.” – “Ebony & ivory inlay work by Nyasaland natives trained at Overtoun Inst., Livingstonia.” Interior view showing a display of wooden tables, trays and boxes with inlaid patterns made from ivory and ebony. All are products are the work of the carpentry training school in Livingstonia. ❧ The Livingstonia mission station was established in 1891 by Dr Robert Laws (1851-1934) when he travelled north from Bandawe to set up a Training Institution and Industrial Mission. It was situated four miles from Lake Nyasa at Khondowe on a high plateau behind Mount Waller. As well as the school, hospital and accommodation, there were workshops for carpentry, printing and engineering, and mills, brickworks and a pottery. The Overtoun Institution was named after John Campbell White, Baron of Overtoun (1843-1908) who was a Convener of the Livingstonia Mission and a major financial contributor. The purpose of the instruction was to provide Christian leaders for the expanding mission and to develop commercial activities and encourage trade.