Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Wadsworth Chapel, Westwood

Image / Wadsworth Chapel, Westwood

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Wadsworth Chapel, Westwood
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Creator
Laskey, Anne
Date Created and/or Issued
1978
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
The highest resolution available for this image is 300 dpi.; Title supplied by cataloger.
This collection is comprised of approximately 1,000 slides capturing buildings along Wilshire Boulevard. The slides were taken during Tuesday afternoon walks in 1978-1979 by Marlene Laskey and her 15-year-old daughter, Annie, who was the primary photographer. Marlene (1933-1989) was a Michigan native who moved to Los Angeles in the 1950s and became a Los Angeles historian and architecture enthusiast. At the time of her death from cancer, Marlene was working on a Master of Urban Planning degree at UCLA, and was an interviewer for UCLA's Oral History program.
Exterior of the Wadsworth Chapel, the oldest building on Wilshire Boulevard, located at the intersection of Bonsall Avenue on the border of the Westwood and Brentwood neighborhoods of Los Angeles. Designed by J. Lee Burton and built in 1900, the structure features design elements of both the Queen Anne and Gothic revival styles. This is the last surviving Victorian-era structure on the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers campus founded in 1887; the area was later renamed the Veterans Affairs West Los Angeles Healthcare Center. After suffering damage during the 1971 Sylmar earthquake, the chapel was closed, however it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places a year later. During its years of service, Wadsworth Chapel was also known as the Catholic-Protestant Chapels, as Protestant services were offered on one side of the building and Catholic services on the other.
Type
Image
Format
1 slide :color ;5 x 5 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00090765
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
GPC_b16_f5_i25
CARL0004997289
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/116212
Subject
Wadsworth Chapel (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Church buildings--California--Westwood (Los Angeles)
Queen Anne revival (Architecture)--California--Westwood (Los Angeles)
Gothic revival (Architecture)--California--Westwood (Los Angeles)
Slides
Burton, J. Lee
Westwood (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Time Period
1971-1980

Explore related content on Calisphere: