Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Though the origins of the company are somewhat obscure, it appears Western Pipe & Steel was organized in Los Angeles around 1907, and quickly began to expand its operations. In 1910 it established a factory in Taft, California for the supply of pipes and containers to the oil industry. In late 1945, Western Pipe & Steel Company was sold for a sum in excess of $6.2 million to Consolidated Steel of California; in 1948, it sold the assets for $8.3 million to Columbia Steel, a division of US Steel. Columbia Steel transferred the assets to a new division, Consolidated Western Steel, which was later merged into the parent company, U.S. Steel. Aerial view of Consolidated Western Steel (middle left), a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, located in the city of Taft. Sharing this space is Republic Supply and King Lumber Co. (both upper left), as well as numerous other warehouses and neighboring streets. Unfortunately, none of the streets has been identified. Photograph dated March 5, 1955.
1 negative :safety ;12 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives