This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This May 10, 1937, photograph shows the ornate calligraphy drawn to a blackboard by a penmanship instructor at Sacramento's branch of Heald College, located at Fourteenth and K Streets. Heald established its Sacramento presence in August 1912 after it purchased the three story, brick Capital City Commercial College, thus making the Capital City one of more than a dozen Heald campuses throughout California and Nevada. The system itself was founded in 1863, five years before the University of California, and 50 years prior to the state's community college system.