Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
TitleÂ supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Originally named Agricultural Park in 1876, the 160-acre site was developed and served as an agricultural and horticultural fairground until approximately 1910, at which point it was re-named Exposition Park. On November 6, 1913, Exposition Park was formally dedicated, and became the home to a state Exposition Building and the county Museum of History, Science and Art, later broken up and renamed the Natural History Museum. The Armory Building was designed in 1912 by State Architect J.W. Woollett for the California National Guard 160th Infantry. In 2003 the California Science Center's Board of Directors voted to rename the historic Armory Building as the Wallis Annenberg Building for Science Learning and Innovation due to contributions toward the renovation and re-invention of the building by architect Thomas Mayne, which reopened in 2004. The seven and a half acre Rose Garden, also called Sunken Garden, evolved from the redevelopment of Agricultural Park, and was completed in 1928. In 1991, the Exposition Park Rose Garden was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This long view taken from the steps of the Museum of History, Science and Art in Exposition Park includes a car parked on the sidewalk, as well as the Rose Garden with four gazebos, and the Armory Building in the distance.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm. Photographic prints
00098143 Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; N-007-575 8x10 CARL0005080337 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/37789
160th Regiment State Armory (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Museum of History, Science, and Art California.--National Guard Armories--California--Los Angeles Museums--California--Los Angeles Museum buildings--California--Los Angeles Eclecticism in architecture--California--Los Angeles Rose gardens--California--Los Angeles Parks--California--Los Angeles Exposition Park (Los Angeles, Calif.) Schultheis Collection photographs Woollett, J. W Hudson & Munsell