Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Beverly Hills High School

Image / Beverly Hills High School

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Beverly Hills High School
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1937]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Architect Robert D. Farquhar designed the 1927 Beverly Hills High School, located at 241 Moreno Drive. In 1936-1937, the main building was renovated due to damage done by the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. The Swim-Gym, designed by Stiles O. Clement, was built in 1939-1940. Major additions designed by Rowland H. Crawford occurred from 1967-1970 (North Wing to the Main Building, 5 story building with classrooms and two level parking garage). The Science and Technology Center, designed by LPA, architects, was built in 2005-2007.
This panoramic view across wide lawns to Beverly Hills High School includes the campus buildings and students gathered on the walkway into class.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00098244
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-007-684 8x10
CARL0005081298
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/37872
Subject
Beverly Hills High School (Beverly Hills, Calif.)
High schools--California--Beverly Hills
Schools--California--Beverly Hills
School buildings--California--Beverly Hills
Architecture--California--Beverly Hills--Italian influences
High school students--California--Beverly Hills
Sidewalks--California--Beverly Hills
Landscape architecture--California--Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills (Calif.)
Panoramic views
Schultheis Collection photographs
Farquhar, Robert D
Time Period
1931-1940

Explore related content on Calisphere: