Use of digital images found on this web site is permitted for private or personal use only. This material may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code). To request permission for reuse of this image select this link to our web request form: https://library.csuchico.edu/special-collections/license
Photograph shows the new Mountain House. The Mountain House is about twenty miles west of Williams. It was built in 1855 by C.M. Purdue and later was operated by the Stovall Wilcoxon Company. Around 1869-70, it was traded for the Twenty Mile House to August Schuckman. The Schuckman family came to Colusa County about 1852 and had the Twenty Mile House. The Mountain House was the Venado post office, hotel, saloon, and stage stop for the Bartlett Stage Co. and Sulphur Creek Company. In 1898, Frank Schuckman purchased it from his father August and continued to operate it until 1922, when his nephew Gilbert Allen took over. Then Alan Abel, also a nephew, operated it for a while. The Mountain House faded in 1930, when the highway was moved from Freshwater Canyon to Salt Canyon, the present highway. In 1959, Mr. Shuckman died and the land, about 2800 acres of farmland and rangeland, was purchased by two nephews, Pat Brown and Harold Brown. They still have it as of this day.