The La Lomita Ranch was owned by Ferdinand Bain, who raised Jerseys. The property also included 3 frame cottages, barn, milk shed and storage buildings. Mr. Bain was also president of the Southern Counties Gas Co. In 1939, Paramount Pictures bought the property for a new studio. The property was acquired by the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1945. On April 1, 1946, they opened an elementary school, Notre Dame Academy Elementary School, on the site. Initially, the school had only three grades; however, the following September more sisters joined the faculty and the school grew to have a Grade 1-6 configuration. In September 1949, the high school opened. Pastures on a cloudy day with the Santa Monica Mountains in the background in this view looking north from the SW corner of La Lomita Ranch in Palms. In the distance, dense housing edges the pastures. Photograph dated March 15, 1939.; See photos #00068312-00068340 for complete series on La Lomita Ranch.
Bain, Ferdinand R.--Homes and haunts Pastures--California--Los Angeles Cities and towns--Growth Dairy farms--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Palms (Los Angeles) Electric lines--Poles and towers La Lomita Ranch (Los Angeles, Calif.) Santa Monica Mountains (Calif.) Palms (Los Angeles, Calif.)