Los Angeles City hall is a Goodhue-esque structure with classical detailing at the base (Greek freize main entrance and Romanesque arcades) and a campanile-like tower influenced by Ziggurat construction, built from 1926-28, and first dedicated on April 27th of the same year. The concrete that the tower is made of was formed from sand taken from each of California's 50 counties and water from each of its 21 missions. It was the tallest building in Los Angeles, by law, until the 1950s. For decades, no building in Los Angeles was allowed to exceed the height of City Hall, until 1957. It remained the tallest building in California from 1928-1964, at 28 stories tall (450 feet). Associated architects were Austin, Parkinson, Parkinson and Martin. Two women standing on the Spring Street steps leading to the fore court of Los Angeles City Hall.
Los Angeles City Hall (Los Angeles, Calif.) City halls--California--Los Angeles Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Municipal buildings--California--Los Angeles Women--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Office buildings--California--Los Angeles Building dedications--California--Los Angeles Group portraits Portrait photographs Austin, John C. W.(John Corneby Wilson),1870-1963 Parkinson, Donald B.(Donald Berthold),1895-1945 Parkinson, John,1861-1935 Martin, Albert C.,1879-1960 Spring Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)