Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Marineland of the Pacific, designed by the firm Pereira & Luckman and located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula coast, opened in 1954 and was the world's largest oceanarium of its time. Best known for its performing Orcas, many considered it California's first major theme park, opening one year before Disneyland. In February 1987 the owners of SeaWorld, San Diego, purchased Marineland and moved all the animals to their San Diego facility, abruptly closing the popular oceanarium just six short weeks after the sale was completed. Much of the infrastructure was left abandoned for 20 years; the 414-foot high tower remained standing until 1995, the Marineland Restaurant continued operating through 2004, and the remaining structures through 2006. In 2007 demolition of the remains of Marineland began, in preparation for the development of Terranea, a $450 million dollar resort. Aerial view of Marineland of the Pacific, located in Rancho Palos Verdes; view is looking slightly northeast. Palos Verdes Drive is visible from middle left to upper right; a few houses can be seen farther in the distance, and the Pacific Ocean flows on the right. Photograph dated June 18, 1957.
1 negative :safety ;11 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives