Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library > America's West > Owens Valley, California. Aerial View, Looking West

Image / Owens Valley, California. Aerial View, Looking West

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Owens Valley, California. Aerial View, Looking West
Creator
Symons Flying Service
Date Created and/or Issued
circa 1950s
Publication Information
Center for the Study of Los Angeles Research Collection, Loyola Marymount University
Contributing Institution
Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
Collection
America's West
Rights Information
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Description
Aerial view of Bishop, California, looking west across the Owens Valley towards Bishop and the mountain of the Sierra Nevada. The Owens River can be seen, snaking along the valley floor. The Pleasant Valley Reservoir is in the right center of the photograph. Bishop Creek is the black line creeping out from the Sierra Nevada in the left center of the photograph. Inscription on bottom of photograph: "BISHOP - LOOKING WEST." Title supplied by cataloger.
Located in the northern end of the one hundred mile long Owens Valley, Bishop, California, is named after Samuel A. Bishop, one of the earliest Anglo-American settlers there (1861). Bishop came to the valley after driving several hundred head of cattle from Fort Tejon to sell to miners working claims in the surrounding mountains. Originally known as Bishop Creek for the creek on which the original settlement grew, the Bishop Creek area provided beef and mutton for such mining towns as Aurora, Nevada, and Bodie, California. By 1864, Bishop Creek had a stage line; by 1883 the Carson and Colorado Railroad serviced the area. In 1889, Bishop Creek became Bishop, which incorporated in 1903. The purchase of farm and ranch land for the Los Angeles Aqueduct by the City of Los Angeles in the 1920s disrupted the local agrarian economy. Although agriculture persisted, Bishop's economy depended on tourism by the 1930s, which remains the economic mainstay of the town. In 2000, Bishop had a population of 3,575 people.
Type
image
Format
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Identifier
ov117
J. D. Black Papers, CSLA-15, Series 3: Photographs, Box 3, Sleeve 41
http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/jdblack/id/111
Language
English
Subject
Bishop (Calif.)
Bishop Creek (Calif.)
Pleasant Valley Reservoir (Calif.)
Owens River (Calif.)
Sierra Nevada (Calif. and Nev.)
Relation
http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt3w1022nb
http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/

Explore related content on Calisphere: