Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Wrigley Field

Image / Wrigley Field

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Wrigley Field
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Herald Examiner Photo Collection
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
1955
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Photograph originally used in article dated March 21, 1955.; Title supplied by cataloger.; Photograph torn in the center on the bottom.
Wrigley Field, built on 10 acres of land in South Los Angeles between San Pedro Street (on the west), Avalon Blvd (to the east), E. 41st Place (to the north), and E. 42 Place (to the south), served as host to minor league baseball teams in the region for over 30 years, and was the home park for the Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League. Chewing gum magnate, William Wrigley, Jr. purchased the Angels in 1921 for the (then) astronomical sum of $150,000 and then built a stadium for the team a few years later. Construction for Wrigley Field began in 1924 and the 21,000-seat, million-dollar stadium opened on September 29, 1925. For 33 seasons (1925-1957) the park was home to the Angels, and for 11 of those seasons (1926-1935 and 1938) it had a second home team in the rival Hollywood Stars. The Stars eventually moved to their own new ballpark, Gilmore Field. Prior to 1925, the Angels played at their former home at Washington Park, and before that, at Chutes Park. In February 1957, Phil Wrigley (heir son of William Wrigley), sold both the team and Wrigley Field to Walter O'Malley, owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, for $3,000,000. The last Pacific Coast League game at Wrigley Field was played on September 15, 1957. In 1961, the Los Angeles Angels joined the American League as an expansion team and took residence at Wrigley Field for just one season. The Angels then moved into Dodger Stadium with the Los Angeles Dodgers, until 1965. In 1966, the Angels moved into their own home, Anaheim Stadium. Sadly, with no minor league baseball teams left in the area, Wrigley Field was torn down in the mid 1960s; Gilbert Lindsay Park presently occupies the site.
Photograph caption dated April 6, 1986 reads, "Wrigley Field no longer exists at 42nd and Avalon, but the L.A. Angels played their first home game there in 1961."
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;29 x 36 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00051896
Herald Examiner Collection
SCHH_b001_f4_i12
CARL0000056456
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/19247
Subject
Los Angeles Angels (Baseball team)
Wrigley Field (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Baseball--California--Los Angeles
Baseball players--United States
Baseball fields--California--Los Angeles
Stadiums--California--Los Angeles
Lost architecture--California--South Los Angeles (Los Angeles)
South Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Herald-Examiner Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: