Title supplied by cataloger.; Photograph was edited for publication purposes. The $24,000,000 building, designed to last approximately 250 years, is an imposing two-block-long structure. U.S. Chief Justice Warren broke ground for the building on March 26, 1954, and was again on hand October 31, 1958 when the edifice was dedicated. Italian marble covers most of the walls and the 850,000 square feet of floor space, along with more than 50,000 cubic yards of concrete. The structure is actually two buildings, with a 6-inch space between the east side, which will be used by the superior courts, and the west side, which will be devoted to the municipal courts. The building is six stories high, but the municipal court side, with its foundations at a higher level, rises three stories above the more massive superior court end. The structure was designed by a corporation of associate architects: J.E. Stanton, Paul Williams, Adrian Wilson and Austin, Field & Fry. The County Courthouse officially began functioning at 9:00 am January 5, 1959. Photograph article dated January 2, 1959 reads, "How To Get Along In The Huge New $24,000,000 Courthouse - Court Reporter Pat Swanson Roller-Skates Down One of the Two-Block-Long Hallways Lined With Gleaming Marble Walls."
1 photographic print :b&w ;27 x 34 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1958-) Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Women--California--Los Angeles Roller skating--California--Los Angeles Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Interiors--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Portrait photographs Los Angeles Evening Herald Express photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Williams, Paul R.,1894-1980 Wilson, Adrian Stanton, J. E Austin, Field & Fry