Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
A view of the beach, looking out toward the ocean. There are crowds of beachgoers in the foreground, with the Long Beach pleasure pier in the distance. The Sun Pavilion is visible at the end of the pier. Before 1866, most of what is now Long Beach was part of two ranchos: Los Cerritos and Los Alamitos. By the 1880s portions of Rancho Los Cerritos were sold, subdivided and developed under the name of Willmore City by William Willmore in 1882. By 1888, the slowly growing population had voted to incorporate the city and rename it the City of Long Beach. By the early 20th century, Long Beach had become a popular seaside resort as well as a major shipping port. It was home to a boardwalk-style amusement known as the Pike, which included a roller coaster, bath house, and carousel. The two-level Pine Avenue Pier was dedicated in 1904, and the Sun Pavilion at the end of the pier was completed in 1905. Until the construction of the Bandstand and Municipal Auditorium, the Sun Parlor provided a place for evening dances. Publisher's serial number: 324 Approximate date from postmark.