Built in 1926 and generally referred to as the "Wilshire Brown Derby," the restaurant was designed in part by J.R. Davidson. This was the only structure of the four Brown Derby restaurants that resembled a bowler hat; the "derby" measured 28 feet in diameter and 17 1/2 feet in height. Its first location was 3427 Wilshire Boulevard, across the street from the Ambassador Hotel, but it was later moved one block over to 3347 Wilshire Boulevard. In 1975, the restaurant was closed and sold. After the structure was demolished in 1980, the shell of the hat-shaped dome was restored and incorporated into the design of the Brown Derby Plaza, a strip mall at 3377 Wilshire Boulevard. The Brown Derby Restaurant as seen from the rear, looking towards Wilshire Boulevard. The sign atop the derby reads, "Eat in a hat." The Ambassador Hotel is partially visible on the right. Photograph dated June 9, 1937.
Brown Derby Restaurant (Los Angeles, Calif.) Ambassador Hotel Restaurants--California--Los Angeles Hotels--California--Los Angeles Electric lines--California--Los Angeles Wilshire Lanterns Lost architecture--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Evening Herald and Express photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs