Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger.; Verso of photograph lists the address as 7930 Passons Blvd., Pico Rivera. This address might be for the parish office, adjacent to the church. The name of St. Mariana de Paredes Catholic Church was chosen by Cardinal (James) McIntyre during his visit to Rome in 1950, when he was present for the canonization of Santa Mariana de Paredes. Property for the church was purchased in April 1951, and the building was completed the same year; its dedication taking place on March 16, 1952. Classes opened on September 15, 1953 with an enrollment of 390 students, and the school was officially dedicated in May 1954. In 1955 St. Mariana de Paredes Catholic Church was enlarged due to a tremendous growth of the parish. In 1957 the parish hall was completed and the opening of the rectory took place two years later, in May 1959. The church was remodeled once again in the summer of 1967 - the altar was moved closer to the congregation, the sanctuary was remodeled, wood paneling was installed, the walls of the church were re-painted, and the roof was replaced with beautiful Spanish tile. Today, St. Mariana de Paredes is a large and active parish, with approximately 5,450 registered families, 500 children in First Communion, 200 teens in Confirmation, 500 infant baptisms each year, a parish school with 230 children, and a dozen Masses on Weekends. Interior view of St. Mariana de Paredes Catholic Church, showing a semi-elaborate wall with a large cross attached to it. This wall is located along a portion of the church that is raised, and which is accessible via a small staircase on the right. A wooden basin with flowing water can be seen in the forefront. It is possible that this is a baptismal font, which is a fixture used for the baptism of children and adults - a Christian ritual by which one is admitted as a full member of the Christian Church. St. Mariana de Paredes Catholic Church is located at 7922 S. Passons Boulevard, in the city of Pico Rivera. Photograph dated: December 2005.
1 photographic print :col. ;16 x 11 cm. Photographic prints
00075714 Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; GPC_b85_f1_i10 CARL0000080411 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/120786
St. Mariana de Paredes Catholic Church (Pico Rivera, Calif.) Catholic churches--California--Pico Rivera Church buildings--California--Pico Rivera Pico Rivera (Calif.) Los Angeles Photographers Collection photographs Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection photographs