Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Men, women, and children in clothing style of 1920s strolling near fountain, sitting on benches, drinking from public drinking fountain; path leads out to street; buildings and automobiles in background. Pershing Square is bounded by 5th and 6th, Hill and Olive. The oldest park in Los Angeles, it was originally known as La Plaza Abaja, the lower plaza, and was renamed Central Park in the early 1890s. In 1900, the 7th Regiment Monument was erected at the corner of 6th and Hill as a memorial to soldiers of the Spanish-American War. The park was redesigned by John Parkinson in 1911 in a classical style with a central fountain. In 1918, at the end of WWI, it was renamed Pershing Square in 1918 in honor of General John J. Pershing. A statue of a WWI Doughboy was erected in 1924. Pershing Square became known as a popular site for orators and rallies. A parking garage was installed under the park in 1954. The Pacific Mutual Building, now known as the Pacific Center, is at 523 West Sixth and dates back to 1908. Publisher's serial number: 101311; Series number: LA-116 Approximate date from postmark.