Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Looking through West Gate onto street, shops and restaurants; restaurant Tuey Far Low is indicated by sign that reads:"Chop Suey" women and children strolling; planters line entrance. The original Los Angeles Chinatown began in the late 1800s as a small settlement on Calle De Los Negros, between El Pueblo Plaza and Old Arcadia Street, and expanded east across Alameda Street. Suffering from absentee landlords and a lack of municipal services and code enforcement, the area was in decline when the city forced residents out and demolished it to make way for the new Union Station Terminal. Two new Chinatowns were created: China City, a tourist attraction, complete with rickshaw rides, brainchild of Christine Sterling, founder of Olvera Street; and New Chinatown, a business and residential neighborhood created and funded by the Chinese community under the leadership of Peter Soo Hoo. Both opened to great fanfare in 1938. Chinatown is framed by two gates, or pailou. The West Gate, on North Hill Street opens onto Gin Ling Way and is adorned with a plaque commemorating the part played by the Chinese in building the railroads. On back:"New Chinatown is one of the big attractions in Los Angeles and is visited by thousands annually. Here can be found tempting Chinese food served in an atmosphere of old China itself, as well as delightful gifts and rare jewels usually to be procured only in the Orient." Publisher's serial number: 47508; Series number: 41 Printed on linen textured paper.