This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Vincent de la Osa Adobe, built in 1849 by Don Vicente De La Osa, was a favored stopping place for the numerous travelers on El Camino Real. It stands on land that is a part of the one-square-league Rancho El Encino granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico to three Indians, Ramon, Francisco, and Roque, whose interests were purchased by Don Vicente. Originally the land was under the jurisdiction of Mission San Fernando Rey founded in 1797. Photograph caption dated March 10, 1960 reads "Dr. Donald C. Cutter, professor of history, right, and graduate student John Polich, inspect timber from floor discovered in blacksmith shop to rear of Encino's first adobe. One floor and later another were found as excavation continued. Digging is directed by Dr. William J. Wallace and commissioned by state." Cutter is a professor at USC.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Cutter, Donald C Vincent de la Osa Adobe (Los Angeles, Calif.) University of Southern California--Faculty University of Southern California--Students Men--California--Los Angeles Young men--California--Los Angeles College teachers--California--Los Angeles College students--California--Los Angeles Adobe houses--California--Encino (Los Angeles) Historians--United States Dwellings--California--Encino (Los Angeles) Excavations (Archaeology)--California--Los Angeles Flooring--California--Los Angeles Parks--California--Encino (Los Angeles) California Historical Landmarks Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Los Encinos Rancho (Calif.) Encino (Los Angeles, Calif.) Valley Times Collection photographs Osa, Vicente de la