Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Santa Catalina Island is located approximately 26 miles off the coast of Southern California, near Long Beach. In 1887, entrepreneur George Shatto purchased the island with the intention of turning it into a major tourist destination, but after amassing large debts, he sold the property in 1892 to Joseph and Hancock Banning. For more than twenty-five years, the Banning brothers had ownership of Santa Catalina Island and continued to develop the area. In 1919, the Banning brothers sold the land to William Wrigley, who along with his son Philip, continued to develop the island. In the mid-1970s, they created the Catalina Island Conservancy, which was given 88% of the island to protect native species and prevent over-development. View of Crescent Avenue, Catalina's main thoroughfare, as it appeared in 1900. The Ice Cream and Candy store seen on the middle left is now Watton Clark's Shop. The boxes and framework that are visible on the right were the fishermen's lockers and docks where power glass-bottom boats pushed bows in and unloaded people on the beach. Boatmen would drum up business in the evenings for the next day. Boat, bait and tackle cost $10. a day.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00081791 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection Santa Catalina Island-Streets.; S-002-385 4x5 CARL0000081896 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112503
Dirt roads--California--Santa Catalina Island Islands--California, Southern Streets--California--Santa Catalina Island Santa Catalina Island (Calif.) Avalon (Calif.)