Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
The Sierra Madre Woman's Club was established in March 11, 1907. From 1907 until 1909, club members met in the original Town Hall, located on the corner of Baldwin and Central Avenue. The club house was designed by architect John Austin of the Hunt, Eager & Burns Los Angeles architecture firm. It was completed on July 1, 1909, and a large ball was held in celebration of its opening. It could accomodate 500 guests, and included an art gallery, where many local artists displayed their work. The club members put on socials, drama festivals, and participated in the annual Flower Festival, which started in 1911. For several years, the Club ran the Wistaria Fete. In 1969 the City of Sierra Madre bought the structure, which was later razed on October 15, 1973. In early 1972, a new club house, the Essick House located at W. Sierra Madre Blvd., was purchased with funds from the sale of the previous club house and $10,000 that had been set aside for restoration. The first meeting held in the Essick House took place on September 27, 1972. View of the exterior of the Sierra Madre's Woman's Club.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00024778 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection Sierra Madre-Organizations-Women's Club.; N-000-159 5x7 CARL0000028516 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/92932
Sierra Madre Woman's Club Women--California--Sierra Madre--Societies and clubs Clubhouses--California--Sierra Madre Lost architecture--California--Sierra Madre Streets--California--Sierra Madre Sierra Madre Boulevard (Calif.) Sierra Madre (Calif.)