Caption: "Frances [sic] Tavern, New York. Where Washington Took Leave of Offices and Disbanded the Troops at Conclusion of the Revolutionary [sic] War. Aug. 5, 1934." Built as a family home for Etienne "Stephen" DeLancey in 1719, this building was converted to use as a tavern in 1762. It served many important functions before, during, and after the Revolutionary War, but several fires in the nineteenth century erased the building's original appearance. The Sons of the Revolution purchased the property in 1904 and embarked upon extensive restoration plans in 1907, supervised by William Mersereau. The building is now used as a museum and art gallery.