Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Union Station courtyard

Image / Union Station courtyard

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Union Station courtyard
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1939]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Located at 800 N. Alameda Street, Union Station was designed by the father and son team of John Parkinson and Donald B. Parkinson, and opened in May 1939. The structure combines Spanish Colonial, Mission Revival, and Streamline Modern style, with Moorish architectural details. It was named the Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal (LAUPT), until the current owner, Catellus Development, officially changed the name to Los Angeles Union Station (LAUS). In 1980 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places, Building #80000811. It is Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #101.
Exterior view of the courtyard at Los Angeles Union Station, located at 800 N. Alameda Street. Although view is a little dark, it shows groups of people standing and talking, sitting on the benches and walking in the courtyard.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 11 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00077958
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-010-070 8x10
CARL0000079820
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/35999
Subject
Union Passenger Terminal (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Railroad stations--California--Los Angeles
Courtyards--California--Los Angeles
Travelers--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs
Parkinson & Parkinson

Explore related content on Calisphere: