Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Founded in 1911, Loyola Marymount University (LMU) is a co-educational private Roman Catholic Jesuit university located at 1 LMU Drive, in the Westchester area of Los Angeles. The present University is the successor to the pioneer Catholic college and first institution of higher learning in Southern California. In 1865, the Vincentian Fathers inaugurated St. Vincent's College for boys in Los Angeles, originally located in the Lugo Adobe House. Rapid growth prompted the Jesuits to seek a new campus in 1917 on Venice Boulevard and was incorporated as Loyola College of Los Angeles in 1918. In 1929, it relocated once again, this time to its present Westchester campus, and the school achieved university status one year later, becoming Loyola University of Los Angeles. In separate, though somewhat parallel developments, Marymount Junior College opened as an all-women's school in the Westwood district in 1933. In 1948 it became the Marymount College of Los Angeles. In 1968, Marymount College moved to the Westchester campus of Loyola University as an autonomous institution. After five years of sharing faculties and facilities, Loyola University and Marymount College merged and formed Loyola Marymount University in 1973. Through this union, the expanded university maintained the century-old mission of Catholic higher education in Los Angeles, and has become the largest Catholic University on the West Coast and one of 28 Jesuit universities in the United States. Consistently ranked as having one of the most beautiful campuses in the United States, LMU sits atop a bluff of 150-acres overlooking Los Angeles and the Pacific Ocean; Harry Culver donated the original 99 acres to the university. Today, LMU offers more than 80 undergraduate degrees, 30 master's degrees and one doctoral degree from four colleges, two schools and Loyola Law School. Costs for the 2009-2010 tuition and fees were $35,419. View of Xavier Hall (left) and St. Robert's Hall (right), located on the northwestern end of the Loyola University campus. Xavier Hall was named for St. Francis Xavier, S. J. and St. Robert's Hall was named for St. Robert Bellarmine, S.J., a cardinal and Doctor of the Church. These were the first two buildings to be built on the current Westchester Campus. Following their completion in 1929, Xavier Hall housed both the Jesuit Faculty and the students at the time, while St. Robert's hall served as the academic and administrative building.
1 photographic print :b&w ;17 x 21 cm. on board 17 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
00081389 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Universities and colleges-Loyola University. CARL0002881671 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112747
Loyola University of Los Angeles Catholic universities and colleges--California--Los Angeles Universities and colleges--California--Los Angeles College buildings--California--Los Angeles School buildings--California--Los Angeles Schools--California--Los Angeles Westchester (Los Angeles, Calif.)