Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District from the Palos Verdes Library Local History Room Photo Collection. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Hand-colored postcard image shows front façade of the Machinery Palace at the Panama-Pacific Internation Exposition, San Francisco, 1915. Designed for the exposition by architects Ward (b. 1876) and Blohme (b. 1878) of San Francisco, the building was the largest wooden structure in the world at the time and occupied nine acres. The west façade displays three gable-pointed arched entranceways, flanked by pairs of columns topped with sculptures of American eagles by scupltor Charles H. Humphriss (or Humphies, 1867-1964.) Between the arches are four taller columns which support figures sculpted by Haig Patigian (1876-1950) of San Francisco, illustrating, left to right, "Steam Power" [not visible], "Invention", "Electricity", and "Imagination." Split-back stamped in green ink "PANAMA-PACIFIC / INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION / CARDINELL-VINCENT CO / SAN FRANCISCO, CAL. PUBLISHERS" with the medallion logo, and "C.T. AMERICAN ART" for the Curt Teich Company, numbered "R-54483." Date Built: 1915 Information about the building and its decor taken from http://www.books-about-california.com/Pages/Palaces_and_Courts/Palaces_and_Courts_Chap_08.html
1 postcard; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
pvld:1187 bar code: 000013862
Panama-Pacific International Exposition (1915 : San Francisco, Calif.)