This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
The structure at 11043 Magnolia Boulevard in North Hollywood was constructed circa 1926 and originally served at a Boys Scouts of America Hall. It operated briefly operated as the Turf Club in 1937-38, and in 1939 was converted into a theater for live performance and named the Little Theatre of North Hollywood. In 1942, the name was changed to the North Hollywood Playhouse, and hosted live performances for the next four decades. Between 1950-1955, the playhouse was also operated as the Candlelight Theatre and the Resident Playhouse. The building was demolished in 1983. Photograph caption dated March 19, 1964 partially reads, "John Leatherwood, 12, of Burbank, is made up by Mrs. William Norett for his role as Bingo the clown in North Hollywood Playhouse production, 'Puss 'n Boots.'"; See images #00116532 through #00116537 for all photos in this series.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00116532 ValleyÂ Times Collection HCNVT_d018_f19_i18 CARL0005327947 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/49846
North Hollywood Playhouse (Los Angeles, Calif.) Theaters--California--North Hollywood (Los Angeles) Theater--California--Los Angeles Theatrical productions--California--Los Angeles Theatrical makeup--California--Los Angeles Makeup artists--California--Los Angeles Actors--California--Los Angeles Women--California--Los Angeles Boys--California--Los Angeles Backdrops Costumes Lost Architecture--California--North Hollywood (Los Angeles) North Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.) Valley Times Collection photographs