Caption: "Call Building," c. 1906. The remains of the Call building after the 1906 earthquake and fire. Completed in 1898 and designed by civic leader Claus Spreckels, the Call building on the corner of 3rd and Market streets was one of the first skyscrapers in San Francisco, built to house the San Francisco Call newspaper offices. While the structure withstood the 1906 earthquake, the interior caught fire and sustained considerable damage. After major renovations, the building is today known as The Central Tower.