This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This 1945 photograph shows the entrance to Sutter Junior High School, located at 1816 K Street. The building was constructed for 222,283 dollars in 1908 as Sacramento Senior High School, operating in that capacity until 1924. The school's architect, R.A. Herold, sought a Georgian-style structure which sandstone accents. From 1924 onward, the building served primarily as a junior high school until its demolition in 1959, creating an instant pile of 650,000 salvageable bricks. In February of 1959, classes opened in a new 2 million dollar location at Alhambra and J Streets. The Eighteenth and K site also served as Sacramento Evening Junior College and Sacramento Evening High School.