Two years before Beverly Hills incorporated, the Beverly Hills Hotel opened on May 12, 1912; the hotel initially included the main building and twenty-three separate bungalows in the Mediterranean Revival style designed by Elmer Grey. In the 1940s, a new wing was added to the east side of the main building. Eighty years after it opened, the hotel closed for two and a half years for a complete restoration. The hotel was named the first historic landmark in Beverly Hills on September 12, 2012. Cabana Lane at the Sand and Pool Club at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Seen is the row of cabanas surrounding the new pool. On the opposite side of the pool is the sand beach. Photograph dated September 20, 1937.