Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. View 5: Two men stand while two women sit comfortably as they read books in front of this exhibit table, which is decorated with several posters and promotional materials. Directly above the table is a banner reading: "The New York Times, New York, N.Y." This booth was one of many that were set up at the Los Angeles Public Library as part of a library convention.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 14 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00077039 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Libraries-L.A. Public Library.; N-004-488.5 4x5 CARL0000078825 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/110927
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Public Library New York Times Company Exhibit booths--California--Los Angeles Library users--California--Los Angeles Exhibitions--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Women--California--Los Angeles Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carlton M