This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Nurses gather in front of the White Hospital in this circa 1916 photograph. Located at Twenty-Ninth and J Streets, the facility was opened on January 12, 1910, by Dr. John L. White, physician, surgeon and one time Superintendent of the Sacramento County Hospital. At a cost of 90,000 dollars, the hospital contained seven four bed wards and thirty private rooms, serving 50 patients. As of 1912, the hospital was charging 14 dollars a week for a ward bed, 17 dollars and 50 cents for a two bed room and between three and five dollars a day for a private room. The hospital would treat any ailment, save those that were contagious. After Dr. White’s death, at 41, from a head-on collision at the intersection of Twenty-First and M Streets in March 1917, his wife, Camille, continued the operation until 1924, when the hospital was closed and the property sold.