Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Founders Charles and Muriel Gay opened Gay's Lion Farm in 1925 on a five-acre farm. They built a U-shaped compound, a public attraction dedicated to the breeding, training and exhibition of African lions with separate cages for each adult cat, a nursery, and a central caged arena where Mr. Gay performed spectacular wild animal acts with his trained animals for masses of spectators. Sadly, the farm closed in December 1942 when wartime rationing made it impossible to get the ton of daily meat required for the lions, which, in turn were loaned out to zoos around the country. By the time the war had ended, Charles Gay's health had begun to fail and he was unable to reclaim his cats or continue with the farm, which never reopened. Today, the only trace of this historic El Monte attraction is the majestic statue of a giant African lion, which has been relocated to the present grounds of El Monte High School. View 7: Photograph of lion trainer Charles Gay, as he nestles a young cub on his lap while this "furry baby" drinks milk out of a baby bottle.
1 photographic print :b&w ;12 x 9 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00077235 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection El Monte-Gay's Lion Farm.; N-006-136.7 4x5 CARL0000080488 http://22.214.171.124/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/111732
Gay, Charles Gay's Lion Farm (El Monte, Calif.) Captive wild animals--California--El Monte Lion trainers--California--El Monte Lions Zoos--California--El Monte El Monte (Calif.)